|Gwesty Dirwestol, Croespenmaen, c. 1905.|
|Private residence, March, 2003|
Gwesty Dirwestol (Temperance Hotel) formerly "The Maypole Inn" before being purchased by Lady Llanover, who, because of her anti drink beliefs turned it into a Temperance hotel. This action was repeated in many of her establishments throughout the area.
The following is from the Cardiff Times 9th of September 1882.
BLACKWOOD. Since the Right Hon. Lady Llanover established the Gloch Gobaith Coffee Tavern at Abercarn, the leases of some public-houses upon her ladyship's estate have expired. Several of them have been closed as public-houses, whilst others have been opened as coffee taverns, or, more properly speaking, Gwestdai." One of these, which was until, recently known as the Maypole Inn, Cross Penmain, has now been opened as a temperance house. On Thursday the scholars and teachers of the Rock Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, near Blackwood, paid the Gwestdai of her ladyship a visit. They were accompanied by prominent members of the denomination, amongst whom we noticed Mr W. Griffiths, Bryncynon, the Rev. G. Watson, Abercarne. The children were regaled with tea and cake, and indulged in a variety of amusements, The day was beautifully fine. It should be added that Lady Llanover distributed tea tickets through the Rev. G. Watson to all the children of the neighbourhood of Cross Penmain, and right heartily did they appreciate her ladyship's generosity. A concert was held in the evening, in which several gentlemen and lady amateurs took part.
It was probably the public house mentioned by William Cox (later to become Archdeacon Cox) on his tour of the area in 1799.
"From the bridge we mounted the opposite eminence, and passed through the district of Cross pen Main, which exhibits a succession of farms and cottages, sometimes detached and sometimes in small groups. The greater part of the inhabitants are freeholders, and their dwellings display an appearance of comfort and independence which is highly pleasing. In the midst of the hamlet is a small but neat public house, where sportsmen who frequent these mountains for growse shooting, are accommodated for the night."